The formerly bi-annual Pre-Dental Simulation Course is now a tri-annual event, taking place in the Fall, Spring, and Summer. The tentative dates are as follows:
Fall - November 18, 2017
Spring - April 7, 2018
Summer - to be determined
This course has been designed for pre-dental students to gain insight and a hands-on approach to learning about what the clinical portion of dental school entails. More importantly it is an opportunity to begin to develop the hand skills that are necessary to succeed. It is an opportunity to find out "if dentistry is for you."
This course will reveal the art and science behind dentistry. Students that complete this course will have a better idea of what it takes to be a dental student, gain confidence, and become a more competitive applicant.
Students attending the pre-dental clinical simulation course will have the opportunity to learn the following in a state of the art pre-clinical simulation lab:
- Use various dental instruments
- Use waxing instruments to wax teeth to proper form and function
- Use a high speed handpiece to prepare class cavity preparations
- Restore cavity preparations with amalgam
- Restore cavity preparations with composite
- Take impressions of typodonts and pour them in stone
- Develop hand skills and a working knowledge of clinical dentistry
- Take part in a presentation given by the OU COD admissions office
- Have access to current dental students attending OU COD for a Q&A session
Students must register by Friday, November 3, 2017 to receive their complimentary Pre-Dental Simulation Course t-shirt on the day of the event. Registration is limited to the first 60 students.
Why should I attend the Pre-Dental Simulation Course?
- Hear from students who have already been through the application process
- Meet admissions personnel to get plugged in with the University
- Network with dental students and other pre-dental students, who will potentially be your future colleagues
- Take your shadowing experience further by physically performing pre-clinical procedures, rather than just observing
- Kickstart your involvement in organized dentistry as a pre-dental
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I wear?
Scrubs or business casual attire. You will be in the lab, and it can get messy!
Do I need to bring anything?
Mandatory: Cash/check if you have signed up to pay the remaining fee for your national ASDA membership
Optional: Pen and paper if you wish to take notes
Where do I park?
The OU College of Dentistry is located on the west side of Stonewall Ave, between 10th Street and 13th Street (1201 North Stonewall Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73117). Free parking will be available in the Stonewall Parking Garage, located directly across the street from the dental school on the east side of Stonewall Ave, just south of 13th Street.
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact President-Elect Brittany Hand at email@example.com.